Home Up Next

 

Photo Left:  Jackson Military Road cut exiting Washington, Arkansas, to the North East (2005)

This web site is intended to provide information for students and classrooms that have

interest in the route and history of the Old Southwest Trail in Arkansas.

 

 

 

Contents
County Articles
Links
Mapping
News & Updates
Photo Gallery
Research
SWT Research Guide

 

 

COLUMBIA - JARRETT CEMETERY & CHURCH
 

Located just off Highway 328W, about three miles west of Maynard is a concrete marker enclosed in wrought iron fence which reads, " Site of Salem Church - Organized 1818 - the first Baptist Church constituted in Arkansas." On a hilltop just east of this site is the present day Columbia - Jarrett church building and cemetery.

This church resulted form consolidation of two pioneer settlements, Columbia and Jarrett. This particular area has borne many names during its existence. The Columbia area supposedly was first known as Fourche de Maux and was named for a French trapper who was the first white man in the area. Other names by which it has been known are Fourche de Thomas, Foster and Lindseyville. 

Historians tell us that Columbia just may be the site of the first settlement in Randolph County. The Fletchers, Lindseys, Jarretts, Morrises and Davises and other families located there soon after 1800. Since early in the Nineteenth Century, the Columbia settlement has been popular and reflected its influence on the history of Randolph County. Being located on the Old Military Road, which traversed the county from Pitman's Ferry to Old Davidsonville, many historical figures of early American history journeyed though this part of the country. Written by Nick Shivey

<http://www.rootsweb.com/~arrandol/tombstones.htm> accessed on 26 May 2005

 

 

Send mail to Southwest Trail Reserach, 703 Lemay Loop Austin, AR  72007
Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013Jackson Military Road in Arkansas
Last modified: 01/14/13