Back Home Up

 

Photo Left:  Jackson Military Road cut exiting Washington, Arkansas, to the North East (2005)

This web site is intended to provide information for students and classrooms that have

interest in the route and history of the Old Southwest Trail in Arkansas.

 

 

 

Contents
County Articles
Links
Mapping
News & Updates
Photo Gallery
Research
SWT Research Guide

 

This list of entries were provided by the Arkansas Historical Preservation Program

The sites include all known registered historic sites along the Military Road, 1831, corridor  (Southwest Trail) from the earliest to 1860. 

Any which have the name underlined have the history portion of the nomination online, and you should be able to click on the name to access it.

 

 

 

Campbell Cemetery
Campbell Cemetery

 

Campbell Cemetery (Imboden vic. - Randolph County)
Address Restricted
c.1835-1887 Cemetery that is the burial place of James Campbell, the first sheriff and county judge of Lawrence County.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 5/25/2005.

 

Looney-French House
Looney-French House

 

Looney-French House (Dalton - Randolph County)
1325 Deer Run Trail
ca. 1833 ca. 1833 log dog-trot cabin
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/23/2004.

 

 

 

 

Old Davidsonville Historic Site (Black Rock - Randolph County)
NE of Black Rock on Black River
1800-1829 site of ca. 1800-1829 river town
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/18/1974.

 

Rice-Upshaw House
Rice-Upshaw House

 

Rice-Upshaw House (Dalton - Randolph County)
Hwy. 93
ca. 1826 log "hall-and-parlor" house is one of two oldest standing structures in Arkansas
Listed in National

 

 

 

Ficklin-Imboden House (Powhatan - Lawrence County)
3rd & Main Sts.
ca. 1850 log home of Lawrence County pioneers
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 10/16/1989.

 

Akron Cemetery
Akron Cemetery

 

Akron Cemetery (Newark - Independence County)
Hwy. 122
1829 being the oldest interment in this burial ground
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 10/4/2002.

 

 

 

Franklin Desha House (Restricted - Independence County)
Location Restricted
ca. 1847 weatherboarded dog-trot house linked to important Arkansas families
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 10/9/1986.

 

 

 

Garrott House (Batesville - Independence County)
561 E. Main St.
1842 1842 residence
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 6/24/1971.

 

 

 

Glenn House (Batesville - Independence County)
653 Water St.
ca. 1850 ca. 1850 structure altered over decades with Greek Revival and Victorian details
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 5/2/1975.

 

 

 

Col. John Critz Farm, Springhouse (Center Hill - White County)
County Rd. 818
1858 stone springhouse
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 7/10/1992.

 

 

Morris House
Morris House

 

Morris House (Bradford - White County)
Rt. 1
1860 vernacular house with Greek Revival elements
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 12/4/1978.

 

 

 

Robertson Drugstore (Searcy - White County)
Spring St. & Arch Ave.
ca. 1860 commercial building
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/13/1991.

 

 

 

Smyrna Methodist Church (Center Hill - White County )
Hwy. 36 E of Center Hill
ca. 1854 vernacular Greek Revival church
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 7/20/1992.

 

 

Walker Homestead Historic District (Garner - White County)
County Rd. 56
1850-1930 six historic structures from 1850-1930
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 7/20/1992.

 

 

 

Ashley-Alexander House (Scott - Lonoke County)
N of Scott
ca. 1835 log-and-clapboard structure
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 6/18/1976.

 

Memphis to Little Rock Road - Brownsville Segment
Memphis to Little Rock Road - Brownsville Segment

 

Memphis to Little Rock Road - Brownsville Segment (Restricted - Lonoke County)
Location Restricted
1828 road segment used during the Indian Removals of the 1830s and involved in the Aug. 25, 1863 Battle of Brownsville
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/27/2003.

 

Sears House
Sears House

 

Sears House (Old Austin - Lonoke County)
junction of Hwys. 38 & 319
ca. 1860 Greek Revival house with Italianate-style details
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 8/5/1992.

 

 

Absalom Fowler House
Absalom Fowler House

 

Absalom Fowler House (Little Rock - Pulaski County)
502 E. 7th St.
ca. 1840 late Federal-style building
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 6/4/1973.

 

 

 

Curran Hall (Little Rock - Pulaski County)
615 E. Capitol Ave.
1842 Greek Revival structure reputedly designed by architect Gideon Shryock
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/1/1976.

 

 

 

Harris House (Hensley vic. - Pulaski County)
SE of Hensley off Hwy. 365
1856 frame cypress house
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/1/1976.

 

 

 

Jesse Hinderliter House (Little Rock - Pulaski County)
214 E. 3rd St. at the Arkansas Territorial Restoration
ca. 1830 frontier tavern
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 3/5/1970.

 

Old State House
Old State House

 

Old State House (Little Rock - Pulaski County)
300 W. Markham St.
1836 Gideon Shryock Greek Revival design for state's first Capitol building. The Old State House is a National Historic Landmark.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 12/3/1969.
Listed as a National Historic Landmark on 12/9/1997.

 

Palarm Bayou Pioneer Cemetery
Palarm Bayou Pioneer Cemetery

 

Palarm Bayou Pioneer Cemetery (Morgan vic. - Pulaski County)
Lot 13 in the Mountain Crest Subdivision, northeast of AR 365
1837-1886 pioneer cemetery
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/20/2005.

 

Pike-Fletcher-Terry House
Pike-Fletcher-Terry House

 

Pike-Fletcher-Terry House (Little Rock - Pulaski County)
411 E. 7th St.
1840 Greek Revival building, home to generations of famous Arkansans
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 8/21/1972.

 

Pyeatte-Mason Cemetery
Pyeatte-Mason Cemetery

 

Pyeatte-Mason Cemetery (Maumelle - Pulaski County)
SW corner of Waterside & Lily Sts.
1818 graveyard for Crystal Hill settlement with graves dating to 1818
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 11/7/1996.

 

Ten Mile House
Ten Mile House

 

Ten Mile House (Little Rock - Pulaski County)
6915 Stagecoach Rd.
ca. 1822-1835 Federal-style stagecoach stop
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 6/22/1970.

 

Trapnall Hall
Trapnall Hall

 

Trapnall Hall (Little Rock - Pulaski County)
423 E. Capitol Ave.
1843 Greek Revival house
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 4/13/1973.

 

U. S. Arsenal Building
U. S. Arsenal Building

 

U. S. Arsenal Building (Little Rock - Pulaski County)
MacArthur Park, E. 9th & S. Commerce Sts.
1840 military arsenal, reputed birthplace of Gen. Douglas MacArthur. The U. S. Arsenal is part of the Camden Expedition National Historic Landmark.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 7/28/1970.
Listed as a National Historic Landmark on 4/19/1994.

 

 

 

William Woodruff House (Little Rock - Pulaski County)
1017 E. 8th St.
1853 home of Arkansas Gazette publisher
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 3/21/1989.

 

Hester-Lenz House
Hester-Lenz House

 

Hester-Lenz House (Benton - Saline County)
905 Hwy. 5 N
ca. 1837 two-story log dog-trot modified ca. 1891 to Plain Traditional-style appearance
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 2/11/2004.

 

Shoppach House (Benton - Saline County)
508 N. Main
1852 1850 structure is county's first brick house
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 10/10/1975.

 

 

 

Gillham House (Royal - Garland County)
County Rd. 584 N of junction with Hwy. 270
ca. 1866 log dog-trot residence
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 3/17/1994.

 

 

 

Morrison Plantation Smokehouse (Saginaw - Hot Spring County)
off I-30 at Donaldson
ca. 1854 hexagonal rock smokehouse from antebellum plantation complex
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 12/28/1977.

 

Rockport Cemetery
Rockport Cemetery

 

Rockport Cemetery (Rockport - Hot Spring County)
Hwy. 270
1851 city cemetery with burials dating to 1851
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/28/2002.

 

 

 

Bozeman House (Arkadelphia - Clark County)
Hollywood Rd. at Hwys. 26 & 51
ca. 1847 Greek Revival structure
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 11/14/1978.

 

 

 

Flanagin Law Office (Arkadelphia - Clark County)
320 Clay St.
1855 office of Confederate governor of Arkansas
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 12/22/1977.

 

 

 

Hudson-Jones House (Arkadelphia vic. - Clark County)
1078 Manchester Rd.
ca. 1840 Greek Revival I-house with associated outbuildings
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/30/1982.

 

 

 

James E. M. Barkman House (Arkadelphia - Clark County)
406 N. 10th St.
ca. 1860 house combines Greek and Gothic Revival styles
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 7/30/1974.

 

 

 

Magnolia Manor (Arkadelphia - Clark County)
.6 miles SW of I-30 & Hwy. 51
1857 house with Greek Revival & Italianate characteristics
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 9/27/1972.

 

Rosedale Plantation Barn
Rosedale Plantation Barn

 

Rosedale Plantation Barn (Arkadelphia - Clark County)
879 Old Military Rd.
c. 1860 hand-hewn log barn
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 1/21/2004.

 

 

Confederate State Capitol
Confederate State Capitol

 

Confederate State Capitol (Washington - Hempstead County)
Main St.
1840 wood-frame courhouse that housed Confederate state government from 1863-1865. The Confederate State Capitol is part of the Camden Expedition National Historic Landmark
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 5/19/1972.
Listed as a National Historic Landmark on 4/19/1994.

 

 

Grandison D. Royston House
Grandison D. Royston House

 

Grandison D. Royston House (Washington - Hempstead County)
Alexander St.
ca. 1830 Greek Revival house
Listed in National Register of Historic Places on 6/21/1971.

 

 

Wynn-Price House
Wynn-Price House

 

Wynn-Price House (Garland - Miller County)
Price St. W of Hwy. 82
ca. 1844 Greek Revival-style plantation house
Listed in National Register of

 

 

Send mail to Southwest Trail Reserach, 703 Lemay Loop Austin, AR  72007
Copyright 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013Jackson Military Road in Arkansas
Last modified: 01/14/13